Coming soon: Family Medicine Residency Program
The Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) will be opening a new three year community-based family medicine residency at Tuality Healthcare in Hillsboro in July 2021.
Our mission is to train family medicine leaders who are equipped to collaborate in inter-professional teams to provide exceptional full spectrum care for rural and underserved communities.
Our program offers:
- Real world experience in a medical center with a community focus.
- Comprehensive training at family medicine clinics with a diverse patient panel.
- Experience caring for newborn to elderly patients with a wide range of health conditions.
- Opportunities to learn from OHSU’s world-class family medicine faculty.
Why choose Tuality?
Our residents will receive their training at one of two Family Medicine Practices and provide inpatient care, including deliveries, at Tuality Community Hospital in Hillsboro. Our residents will learn from a core group of experienced family medicine faculty who have been specifically recruited by OHSU to help launch our new program and who collectively bring a broad range of skills, experiences in rural and underserved communities, and fellowship training in advanced maternity care, geriatrics and sports medicine to Tuality.
A unique experience
The unique setting of a regional medical center located in the community provides residents with a supportive educational environment. OHSU Tuality Healthcare is a not-for-profit health care system with a hospital that has 167 beds and state of the art acute care services.
Tuality is affiliated with OHSU, the only academic health center in Oregon. The residency program is part of OHSU’s nationally recognized Department of Family Medicine, ranked #1 in the nation in 2020 by US News & World Report. This provides residents with access to OHSU’s state-of-the-art learning, opportunities for scholarships, and referral network.
The Family Medicine Residency Program uses a modified “2 + 2” schedule that allows residents to complete most rotations in two-week segments, alternating between outpatient and inpatient experiences. This provides more access for patients to see residents during continuity clinics.
Residents are assigned a family medicine faculty advisor who is paired with them on a clinical team at one of the following Hillsboro clinics:
Residents will follow a diverse panel of patients and will:
- Provide wellness care for patients of all ages and care for a wide variety of acute and chronic medical conditions.
- Receive procedural training including gynecologic, obstetric, musculoskeletal and dermatologic procedures.
- Learn about panel management and the Patient-Centered Medical Home by attending monthly clinic meetings with clinic staff.
- Behavioral health education that focuses on motivational interviewing and screening, brief intervention, referral to treatment (SBIRT) and includes training in medically assisted treatment (MAT).
A friendly community
OHSU Tuality Healthcare is located in Hillsboro, Oregon, only 20 minutes west of Portland. The quaint downtown area is home to farmers markets, cultural festivals and craft breweries. Hillsboro is also the front door to Oregon wine country with over 500 wineries.
If you like the outdoors, there are plenty of areas to hike and cycle or take a short drive to the Oregon coast. If the big city is your thing, hop on the Max Train next to the hospital and take a short ride to Portland for incredible live music, amazing food and our favorite bookstore, Powell’s books.
Compensation and benefits
As employees of OHSU, residents receive employee benefits as a part of their total compensation package. Benefits include:
- Salary – Residents receive an annual salary, paid every two weeks.
- Insurance coverage – A resident may participate in one of the group health insurance programs sponsored by OHSU and elect to participate in other group insurance programs offered, such as vision, dental, prescription and life insurances.
- Professional liability insurance – Provided to residents through OHSU and covers all duties and acts performed within the scope of the training program.
- Vacation – 15 days of annual paid time off.
- Other benefits – Free on-site parking, access to OHSU library, wellness resources.