Coming soon: Family Medicine Residency Program
The OHSU Tuality Healthcare Family Medicine Residency program trains future family medicine physicians to practice full spectrum care in rural and underserved communities.
The new, three-year community-based residency program is located in Hillsboro, Oregon. Our program offers:
- Real world experience in a medical center with a community focus.
- Comprehensive training at family medicine clinics.
- Experience caring for newborn to elderly patients with a wide range of health conditions.
- Opportunities to learn from OHSU’s world-class family medicine faculty.
Residents learn from family medicine faculty recruited by Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU). They care for a diverse community that include families from nearby rural communities and high-tech companies. This prepares residents to practice anywhere they choose upon completion of the program.
The Family Medicine Residency Program uses a modified “2 + 2” schedule that allows residents to complete most rotations in two-week segments, alternating between outpatient and inpatient experiences. This provides more access for patients to see residents during continuity clinics.
Residents are assigned a family medicine faculty advisor who assists them in caring for patients at one of the following clinics:
Residents work with clinical teams in all aspects of family medicine. They are assigned a panel of patients to follow and will:
- Provide care and procedures for a wide variety of conditions that includes acute, chronic, preventive.
- Learn about panel management and the patient centered medical home.
- Behavioral health education that focuses on motivational interviewing and screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment (SBIRT) and includes training in medically assisted treatment (MAT) and work with experienced MAT providers.
- Attend monthly clinic meetings and quality improvement initiatives.
A unique experience
The unique setting of a regional medical center located in the community provides residents with a supportive educational environment. OHSU Tuality Healthcare is a not-for-profit health care system with a hospital that has 167 beds and state of the art acute care services.
Tuality is affiliated with OHSU, the only academic health center in Oregon. The residency program is part of OHSU’s nationally recognized Department of Family Medicine, ranked #1 in the nation in 2019 by US News & World Report. This provides residents with access to OHSU’s state-of-the-art learning, scholarships, and referral network.
A friendly community
OHSU Tuality Healthcare is located in Hillsboro, Oregon, only 20 minutes west of Portland. The quaint downtown area is home to farmers markets, cultural festivals and craft breweries. Hillsboro is also the front door to Oregon wine country with over 500 wineries.
If you like the outdoors, there are plenty of areas to hike and cycle or take a short drive to the Oregon coast. If the big city is your thing, hop on the Max Train next to the hospital and take a short ride to Portland for incredible live music, amazing food and our favorite bookstore, Powell’s books.
Compensation and benefits
Residents receive employee benefits as a part of their total compensation package. Benefits include:
- Salary – Residents receive an annual salary, paid every two weeks.
- Insurance coverage – A resident may participate in one of the group health insurance programs sponsored by OHSU and elect to participate in other group insurance programs offered, such as vision, dental, prescription and life insurances.
- Professional liability insurance – Provided to residents through OHSU and covers all duties and acts performed within the scope of the training program.
- Vacation – 15 days of annual paid time off.
- Other benefits – Free on-site parking, access to OHSU library, wellness resources.