Nurse Residency Program
The Nurse Residency Program at Hillsboro Medical Center, an OHSU partner, offers up to 6 months of specialty practice to help you build professional nursing clinical care experience at a medical center rooted in the community.
- Nursing specialty practice training in the following specialities:
- Cardiac Cath Lab (Cath Lab)
- Emergency Department (ED)
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
- Labor, Delivery, Recovery and Postpartum Unit (LDRP)
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Perioperative Surgical Department (OR)
- Team-based training, partnered with nurse preceptors, physicians, interdisciplinary care team members and clinical specialty practice leaders.
- Participation in unit-based councils and quality-improvement projects.
- Curriculum and clinical experiences supported by hands-on patient care, online learning programs, in-person didadic and theory-based seminars, clinical looping, drills, simulations and throughput rotations.
The Nurse Residency Program cohorts start biannually in the Spring and Fall each year.
As a resident, you will:
- Build critical thinking, communication, teamwork, resiliency and leadership skills.
- Collaborate with our knowledgeable health care team and educators.
- Improve and develop specialty nursing assessment, procedural, equipment and patient care skills.
- Participate in evidence-based practice, research opportunities and management of emergent patient care needs.
Our residency program prepares you for a career in your chosen nursing specialty hospital unit and to continue advancing your professional nursing practice.
Weekly Training Hours and Program Length per Speciality
The Nurse Residency Program’s typical weekly training hours and timeframe by department/unit:
- Cardiac Cath Lab (Cath Lab) – 40 hours/week for up to 24 weeks
- Emergency Department – 36 hours/week for up to 24 weeks
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU) – 36 hours/week for up to 24 weeks
- Labor, Delivery, Recovery and Postpartum Unit (LDRP) – 36 hours/week for up to 24 weeks
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) – 36 hours/week for up to 24 weeks
- Perioperative Surgical Department (OR) – 40 hours/week for up to 24 weeks