The Preoperative Assessment Clinic at Hillsboro Medical Center provides medical evaluation and diagnostic testing before your surgery.
Our doctors (anesthesiology and internal medicine) assess if you’re ready for surgery and help coordinate consultations with other specialists and testing if needed after your evaluation. Our medical team will also test you for COVID-19 prior to surgery at Hillsboro Medical Center.
- Preoperative medical evaluation (when requested by your surgeon)
- Compilation and review of medical information.
- Blood tests
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- MRSA testing (joint replacements, spine fusion, craniotomy)
- COVID testing* (required 48-72 hours prior to the day of surgery)
- Phone visits with a medical assistant or nurse (when no testing is required)
*COVID testing is done by nasal swab (PCR) every day, except Saturday. We test only patients having surgery at Hillsboro Medical Center, and not at any other OHSU locations.
What to bring to your assessment
You will need to bring your current medical insurance card, dates of previous surgeries, and a list of all your current medications, including:
- Medication dose
- Time of day you take the medication
- Time you last took the medication
This information helps speed up your admission on the day of surgery. You do not need to fast prior to visiting the clinic.
Day of visit
Take all of your medications at their usual time on the day of your assessment. The appointment time will vary depending on whom you’re scheduled to see.
- One hour with a doctor
- 30 minutes with a medical assistant
- 10 minutes for COVID testing
Please check-in at the 3rd floor lobby desk of the Tuality 7th Avenue Medical Plaza.